News & Insights

Expats may be required to produce regular savings proof

However, British expats already living in the EU are unlikely to be affected as it is probable that the government will succeed in ensuring that reciprocal agreements protect their right to reside within the EU.

As it stands, non-EU nationals wishing to live in EU countries have to provide documentation in relation to their expat regular savings, income and pensions in order to receive EU residency visas, so it is possible that British nationals will have to do the same.

“It is likely there would be a system of long-term permits and residency. We want what is in the best interests of the British people but this will form part of the discussion,” a Home Office spokesperson told media.

However, there is still the possibility that Prime Minister Theresa May and her government might be able to achieve a more favourable deal with EU negotiators; in such a situation British nationals may be subject to exemptions on various EU residency visa rules.

The EU Commission, supported by France and Germany, has already indicated that it might introduce a visa waiver for British nationals, albeit for a fee of around £10.

Other News

Spanish Tax Office’s Gibraltar crackdown

50 Euro NoteSpanish newspaper ABC has reported that tax authorities in the country are cracking down on expats who fraudulently claim Gibraltar residency for the purposes of wealth management.

Apparently the measures have already led to the collection of €20 million from 160 high-net-worth individuals (HNWIs) claiming residency in Gibraltar when in fact they lived in nearby Andalucía. This meant that, on average, €125,000 was collected from each HNWI.

Jorge Ramírez, a representative of the Tax Agency in Andalucía, told the newspaper, “A tracking system was used to collect verifiable documentary evidence, and we found some Gibraltarians whose primary financial interests were actually entirely situated in Spain.”

Read More

Select your country

Please select your country of residence so we can provide you with the most relevant information:

You are currently viewing the Blacktower Financial Management EU website.

You may be looking for the Blacktower United States website.

Blacktower United States > X Stay on this site

Or choose your country.